Thursday, June 15, 2006

flashback thursday ?

I know the flashback day is supposed to be Friday, but it's my blog and I can do what I want.

June 15, 2003
The day Matthew was born. Did you know that he was born on Father's Day? What a great first Father's Day gift! It's pretty hard to top that one.


This is the very first photo of him. He was such a big baby-8lbs 15oz. Don't you think I should be able to round up to 9lbs?
There's a story behind this photo.

It's a polaroid. I'll explain...

We had a rough labour and delivery. I don't think it's ever easy, but it had been a long day. The baby (we didn't know the gender) was experiencing fetal distress and a team was standing by.

"It's a boy!", they said when the work was done (how's that for glossing over the details?) But I already knew before they told me because I saw him right away. A boy! It was 7:44 pm and I knew my nurse's shift was supposed to have ended at 6:00. She had stayed and helped out right till the end.

He was immediately handed to the team and checked over. We were told that he would be taken to neo-natal. I held him for maybe a minute and he was taken away. Rick stayed with me. We were talking about the experience and wishing we could hold him some more. We couldn't even remember if he had hair or what colour it was (I think he had been wearing a little hat)

Not long after that, my sweet nurse, Kathryn returned with a photo. This polaroid of my baby. I appreciated that so much. She had stayed much later than she was scheduled to. It was a few hours until I was able to go to neo-natal to see Matthew (stitches, fainting, etc), but I had this picture to look at.

He spent 2 days in neo-natal and what a roller-coaster that was. When Rick went to see him for the first time, they asked him "Is your's the big one?" I guess they don't get too many 9 lb babies in there (I rounded up)

Everything worked out. But I still feel very fortunate to have this special photo from a very special day.

Happy 3rd Birthday Matthew Baby!

7 comments:

Susie said...

I had tears in my eyes when you mentioned the nurse staying past her shift because really, Michelle, isn't it nice that there are such selfless people serving out there where they are needed?

Happy Birthday, Matthew!

christine said...

how kind of the nurse to stay so late and to give you this photo!

Happy Birthday to your little guy.

Faye Byard said...

Happy birthday to a wonderful BIG boy! I do remember how worried everyone was that day. It's great to know that little Matthew had so many people that cared for him. They didn't even know how sweet and funny he was!

nadine jenine said...

happy birthday to matthew!

that nurse did a very sweet thing.

and so you think your kid isn't the only plumb baby ever born, i weight 9 pounds 1 ounce!

Mary Jo said...

I hope Matthew had a wonderful birthday!!!
What a beautiful story! Love that your nurse stayed with you.

Amber Joy said...

That is so special. My Judah was in Neo-natal for three days, and it was the longest three days of my life. I think I would have worn a picture of my love out had I had one. What a blessing.

Cathy said...

What a sweet story, Michelle!

How precious to have that polaroid.

My youngest weighed in at 11 lbs, 4 oz, so I know all about being asked about 'the big baby.' We had people from the housekeeping department at the hospital peeking their heads in asking if they could see him...