Wednesday, June 14, 2006

it hasn't been so terrible

Today marks the last day of Matthew's "terrible twos". It hasn't been that terrible. Although, I must admit they were a little trickier than the ones.

As I reflect on the past year, I realize how much he has grown and how much his life has changed. The photo below was taken on his 2nd birthday, almost a whole year ago. He was just new to being a big brother back then. He was kind and gentle and so very sweet to his baby brother.

I used to think that the terrible twos only happened to other peoples' kids. Was I in for a surprise! We've had our share of tantrums and grouchy days. We've had meltdowns and frowns. We've had tears and frustration. All of that is part of growing up and becoming an independent little person.

And he is becoming such a good little person. Kind and sensitive beyond belief. When he goes to his grandparents and asks for a cookie, he always asks me if I want one too. When I thought about leaving Caleb with my mom while Matthew and I went on a playdate, he said "I think Caleb would like to come play too. I'd miss him".

We are beginning a new adventure. The threes! Some people tell me that the threes are even harder than the twos. I've already seen some early 3 year old characteristics come shining through. I love how creative and imaginative he has become. He can pretend to be a pirate, a mole in a hole or a fire chief. He builds bridges, houses and nests out of blankets and pillows. I am in awe of his natural curiosity and have started to answer an endless supply of "how come?" questions.

I love this little guy. I will miss having a two year old, but I know that the next year will be just as exciting with new milestones to achieve.

And don't feel too sorry for me. Only 8 and a half months until I have another 2 year old on my hands. And I'll get to go through it all again :)

(photo taken June 15, 2005)

4 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Beautiful!! You have such a wonderful view regarding the two's and child development.
I have to say three was a little rougher for us but we just take it in stride.
Now we are in the four's which has it's share of challenges as well but there are so many wonderful things to experience as well. :)

Let me know what you think of the book ;)

Susie said...

THis is lovely and perfect worded to wrap up Matthew's season of twos... aren't they so cute together??!

christine said...

Hopefully the end of the 2s is a good thing! 3 was so much tougher for us. Enjoy regardless!

nadine jenine said...

they grow up fast huh?