Tuesday, September 19, 2006

he cried

He cried when I dropped him off at preschool this morning.

We did so well on the first few days, but now I guess the reality of it has set in.

It actually started about five minutes before we were about to leave. He started crying at home, for no apparent reason. We regrouped, snuggled and decided to bring a book to show his teacher.

I got him into the car. And into the school.

I assured him that I'd be back at 11:15 and gave him a kiss in his hand (have you ever read The Kissing Hand?) and a kiss on his cheek too. He was trying so hard to be brave, but he looked quite sad as I walked away. I tried not to look back, but I heard his wonderful teacher ask him to see the book that he had brought to show her. And I peeked in the window after I shut the door and I could see him on her lap looking at the book, still looking sad.

But I know that he's in good hands.

And it's already 10:08. So I can go pick him up in an hour.

7 comments:

Missy said...

oh- heartbreaking...I am learning from you guys. Maya is two- next year is preschool!

Susie said...

It sounds like you handled this situation beautifully. Way to go Mom!

Marie said...

It has got to be hard...as Elizabeth said to me the other day, she has known everything that has gone on in Maddie's life...until now. They just grow up TOO FAST!!!

Mary Jo said...

Oh Michelle! I remember those days!! Haven't had them this year but plenty of them last year!

I always felt like the worst mommy in the world, but I did know he was ok. I just didn't want to leave him.

I just pushed through and he absolutely loves school this year.
I think it's ok for them to cry for us every once in a while.

I remember before children when I taught preschool having to be the ones to help the parents out the door and make it ok for the kids. Looking back I realize now that I had the easier part of the job when I was the teacher.

Jenny L. said...

You did the right thing. I've had a struggle with Charlie as well. He thinks he's free because he didn't go today, (we all have colds) but he will go back. He's fine when he gets there, but miserable up until then. Hugs to you. :)

Cathy said...

Oh, bless his little heart... poor guy.

We're going through some of the same stuff with my first grader getting used to those long days at school. He misses me, the little sweetie!

Hang in there. He'll settle in.

nadine jenine said...

awe. that would break my heart.