Thursday, January 11, 2007

not so happy birthday

Poor Rick, it's his birthday today and he's had a bit of car trouble. It's 10:00 PM and he's out in the freezing cold getting his car either boosted or maybe towed. It wouldn't start after work and he tried boosting it. And then, he got a ride home from a friend, ate some birthday pizza and went back with our other car to try again. No luck. He returned home for cake with both sets of grandparents. And as I said before is now back there again.

Oh, and by the way, when I say freezing cold. I mean F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G cold. It is currently -32 Celsius, but with the wind chill, it actually feels like -43 Celsius. Let me convert that for you, -32 C is -25.6 Fahrenheit and so it actually feels like -43 C which is MINUS 45 Fahrenheit. Really. I'm not kidding or exaggerating to make you feel sorry for me. But don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for Rick. It's his birthday.

And here are a couple pictures, just in case Chrissy should happen to pop by ;)

Matthew thought Rick would like a train cake. He was right :)


In other news, last night Matthew had his first skating lesson and he wowed us all by skating all by himself. He did really well and here's a little video. (sorry for the shaky camera-Caleb was on my lap)



Also, tomorrow night, Rick and I are off on a little getaway to the Temple Gardens Mineral Spa in Moose Jaw. We are really looking forward to it and hopefully our car will co-operate. Thanks to Grandma R. for watching the boys while we go.

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday to your sweetie!!!

I cannot believe it is that cold!!! I was complaining that it was 10 farenheit here today. Yikes. I cannot imagine -45.

Have I ever told you that my dh went to school in Saskatchewan? He remembers those cold cold winters...

Sheri said...

oh, and i thought we had it cold at -17 celcius.

brutal canadian winters - can't wait until spring.

that is so crummy to have that happen on his birthday. you guys deserve that spa break - looks lovely.

nadine jenine said...

it's freaking cold here too, though it's only -32 with the windchill.

poor rick. i just kept praying my car would keep on running today and start after school, which it did! i can't imagine being out in this cold though!

enjoy your spa getaway!

Susie said...

Hope the trip is better that the actual birthday day. I'm sure it will be- you can't go wrong in town called Moose Jaw, right?

I think your cold weather in being infiltrated to SD and not the other way around.

Poor Chrissy. I'm glad she has a good sense of humour.

Marie said...

yuck. all around yuck

happy birthday to that dh of yours-can't imagine car trouble in that kind of weather!!!


and the video is adorable :)

Jenny L. said...

Look at Matthew, what a natural! Happy belated birthday to Rick, did the car ever start?
Have a great weekend, a spa trip sounds perfect for you two. :)

Faye Byard said...

I think the shaky camera is due to the giggling mommy. Tell Matthew I think he is a great skater and he can come live with me when he plays for the Flames.

Missy said...

I love the video! Can't wait to get Maya out there. Everytime I plan to go it rains! UGH- I wish we had a glimpse of that cold you guys have!

Chrissy King said...

What a bummer of a birthday for you hubby!!

Hope you both enjoy your time away at the spa. Sounds like it came at a great time!

Thanks for the pictures!! Didn't know I'd start a new "picture-only movement" with my post! hee hee:o)

Susie said...

This is the first time I have seen that video- how cute is Matthew??!